Thursday, June 25, 2015

Psalm 8

This one's from seven years ago today: a long, rambling, reflections-on-a-Psalm-rewritten-as-a-poem inspired by a sermon on the title passage, Psalm 8. It was intended as a song, with three eight-line verses and an eight-line chorus. I'm bad at titles, so even after all this time, this poem doesn't really have one. Suggestions are always welcome. And hopefully, my writing style has become more concise with time.

Psalm 8

He spoke the worlds into existence,
Hung the stars up with his hand;
Painted heaven with his fingers,
Shaped the galaxies with his command.

He formed the earth and moved upon it,
Made all living things we see -
Sheep and cattle, birds and fishes,
Feeb'lest grass and tallest mighty tree.

Though I was made to know my Maker,
Sin forbade my drawing near.
God of power soon would judge me:
Guilt and shame o'erwhelmed my heart with fear.

And yet, this mighty God, Creator
Chose to take a servant's dress:
Came to earth; in love and mercy,
Clothed me in his perfect righteousness.

His Word upholds what he created;
Countless mighty stars still flame,
Seasons come and go, enabled
By sustaining power of his Name.

How can I fail to trust my Father?
He who owns eternity
Gives me ought but what love chooses.
Mercy's hands of strength are holding me.

Oh Lord our Lord, your Name is mighty -
Excellent in all the earth.
What is man that you would love me,
Visit me, and bring to me new birth?

All glory, honor, highest praises
Ever more we give to you
God, Creator, Lord Almighty
Faithful, righteous, merciful and true.



No comments:

Post a Comment