Thursday, July 9, 2015

From the Splendor of God's Heaven

















Higher Ground Baptist Bible Camp played an incalculable role in my spiritual growth as a teenager and college student. My two years as a camper and my eight years on staff shaped my theology and my attitudes in huge ways. Higher Ground's teen leadership camp, known as "The Stretcher Program," emphasizes servant leadership based on Christ's example as communicated by Paul in Philippians chapter two: "Let this mind be in you, which was also in Christ Jesus..." After participating as a Stretcher one year, I wanted to express in writing the core concepts I had learned. This poem was the result.

From the splendor of God's heaven,
From the rainbow circled throne:
From unceasing praise of angels,
Admiration purely shown.

From sweet meaningful communion
With a Father deeply loved,
From perfection, unmarred beauty,
Jesus came to ransom us.


To deep poverty continual,
To a shameful, lowly birth
To a dirty stable manger,
Endless painful toils of earth:

To the mocking scorn of sinners,
Pilate's unjust judgment hall:
To that cross on Calv'ry's hillside,
Most accursed death of all.


Let this mind be in me, Father,
Which was also in my Lord:
Not vain pride in my position,
Selfish thought for man's reward.

But a mind of humble giving,
Caring not for earthly fame:
Living selflessly, your servant
For the glory of your Name.


And his Name is high exalted
Far above all other names
All will bow, each tongue confess him:
Christ the Lord forever reigns.



No comments:

Post a Comment